Thursday 11 February 2010

42/365 - A Trip Down Memory Lane .....

In the news today was a lot about it being the 20th Anniversary of the release of Nelson Mandela and how it was one of those Life Events that everyone remembered exactly what they were doing when he took that Walk of Freedom.  Sorry folks - I can't.  I can remember the event but not what I was doing ....
That said, I'm an admirer of the man and what he stood for, so today's photo is one taken in 2007 a couple of weeks after his statue was unveiled in Parliament Square (on one of my summer touristy visits to my home town) .......
Then the memory games stated - the Pause for Thought slot on the Chris Evans show was about Mr Mandela and South African apples; and the track played immediately after was by John Lennon.  Now I can remember exactly where I was when the news came out that he had been murdered - I was on the top deck of a bus going along Ealing Broadway - some bloke up the front had a radio (we did in those days - lol) and he just shouted it out - the bus was in chaos.
And it was just the same when JFK was shot.  Emergency Ward Ten  (remember that one) was on the TV and the lady along the road - Doris - was banging on our door in her curlers and dressing gown (we did that in those days too), crying loudly that he had been assassinated.
Today (partly because I have been thinking off and on about what I was doing when Nelson Mandela was freed), I have remembered all sorts of things - being allowed to stay up on a Sunday night and watch the Beatles for the first time at the London Palladium on the TV, my first day at 'big' school, the first time I saw the film Psycho (my parents realising that perhaps their parenting skills weren't the best, letting a 15 year old watch a late night horror film with them - lol), the first time I climbed the Monument in the City of London with my Dad, turning the page in the Ladybird Book of Nature that had the earthworm on it at the very, very edge of the corner becuase I didn't want to touch the worm because it might crawl up my arm - and the strangest one of all - loads of little details about my first date (which was a blind date - lol) with my ex-husband .....
The mind is a wonderful thing ......
And yes another one is missing - 41.  Got home too late last night

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great to see you - hope you'll come back tomorrow, and the day after and the day after that - right through to 31st December 2010 ....